My passion is building meaningful software together with talented people.
I offer around 20 years of industry experience, M.Sc. in computer science and engineering, dedication, professionalism, and great empathy for co-workers and end users.
I love mentoring, sharing knowledge, and excel in working full-stack with web technologies. I am very fond of TypeScript, Python, GraphQL, React, codemods, testing, and automation. Read more about my engineering principles.
Staff Engineer | Pleo (2021-present)
Pleo is the spending solution for forward-thinking teams everywhere. The smart company cards empower thousands of businesses across Europe.
My initial focus is pushing the Pleo frontend platform forward as part of the Engineering Productivity domain.
Head of Engineering | Tomorrow/electricityMap (2020-2021)
In the next decade, the transition to a low-carbon electricity system will require every organisation and government to understand and reduce their real electricity footprint. electricityMap organises the world’s electricity data to drive the transition towards a truly decarbonised electricity system.
- Work directly with the founder and product manager to develop new features across our product portfolio
- Steward a high-quality codebase and promote best practices in development within the company
- Contribute in every aspect of the product development process, from thinking through UX and UI to hearing from customers and solving their problems
- Inspire others, and to challenge product features, to make sure we build a product that is used and has the impact we want
- To be a trusted advisor on all things technical, and build a world-class software engineering team
- Do anything else you think is necessary to effectively decarbonize our society
Lead full-stack engineer | LEO Innovation Lab (2017-2020)
As an independent innovation unit, established by LEO Pharma, LEO Innovation Lab develops apps, digital platforms, and other initiatives to support people with chronic skin conditions.
- Technical team lead in various cross-functional teams, always in close collaboration with UX, designers, product, and our machine learnings engineers
- Developing multiple React Native mobile apps and various web-based applications for skin monitoring and diagnosis (see getimagine.io and my blog post or meetup talk about React Native)
- Developing machine learning tools for labeling datasets
- Automation and safety net creation to enable teams to ship features with confidence
- Initiating cross-functional meetups, guild setup for knowledge sharing, work on guidelines, and cross-team coordination.
Senior full-stack developer | issuu.com (2012-2016)
issuu.com is a digital publishing platform. It is an archive, library and newsstand all gathered in one reading experience with 50+ million publications and 100 million monthly unique visitors.
During my four years, I worked on everything from publisher tools, upload flow, PDF conversion pipeline, email services, payment service, our first Docker setup, introducing automated tests, front-end architecture (see this blog post or this conference talk), build systems, to several iterations of our design system.
From 2015 I had the pleasure to lead an awesome cross-functional delivery team. As a team lead, I love to enable people to grow, preach continuous delivery, find the right solution to validate a hypothesis, and I strive to shorten the build-measure-learn cycle.
Software Engineer | Region Hovedstaden, Koncern IT (2009-2012)
Part of the EU project PSIP (Patient Safety through Intelligent Procedures in medication) that facilitated the systematic production of epidemiological knowledge on Adverse Drug Events and worked on improving the entire medication cycle in a hospital environment.
My focus was data processing, data mining, and development and verification of clinical decision support systems.
I was co-author on several EU reports and presentations about PSIP with collaboration with Aalborg, AUTH and Umit university, French hospitals, and commercial partners such as IBM, Medasys, and Oracle. Participant and speaker at conferences in France, Italy, and Greece.
Published an article in a peer-reviewed scientific journal: Koutkias et al. From Adverse Drug Event Detection to Prevention A Novel Clinical Decision Support Framework for Medication Safety. Methods of Information in Medicine, 2014.
After the EU project, I continued as a consultant at Sektion for Klinisk Information & Data, developing tools for streamlining business processes and automating data-intensive tasks when configuring health care systems.
Technologies: Java, Ruby, Python, Oracle Data Integrator, PostgreSQL, PL / SQL, XML, XSLT.
Freelancing | Skovhus Webdesign (2004-2008)
Web development and graphical design. I developed websites, e-commerce sites, desktop applications and designed posters, webdesign, logos, etc.
Technologies: PHP, .net, Flash, ActionScript, HTML, CSS, SQL.
M.Sc., Technical University of Denmark (2010-2012)
Computer Science and Engineering. Average grade: A+.
Master Thesis: Algorithms for String Comparison on GPUs. Under the supervision of Inge Li Gørtz and Philip Bille (DTU Informatics), we considered parallelization of string comparison algorithms (including sequence alignment, edit distance, and longest common subsequence). We presented a novel approach for solving these problems using graphics processing units (GPUs) and showed a 40X speedup compared to a state-of-the-art sequential CPU solution. Grade: A+.
Courses of special interest:
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Artificial intelligence and multi-agent systems
- Requirements Engineering.
B.Sc., Technical University of Denmark (2006-2009)
Software Technology. Average grade: A.
Bachelor project: Camera Control and Data Handling on DTUsat-2. Under the supervision of Hans Henrik Løvengreen, we further developed the onboard software on the DTU student satellite, DTUsat-2. The primary focus was on the camera control and data handling. The satellite is still active and in orbit. Grade: A+.
Interests & spare time
My amazing daughter Sigrid, traveling, cooking, food, and music. Currently, I play bass, mix and produce with my friends in Go for Gold and Freddy and the Phantoms. As my fellow Vesterbro hipsters, I also try to keep my sourdough alive… 🍞